Fakhar ton leaves India with stiff chase to retain Champions Trophy

Pakistan mindset better for CT final after India loss Arthur
India and Pakistan face off in dream cricket final
Author

19 June, 2017

Fakhar hit 12 fours and three sixes before skying a catch off Hardik Pandya but Pakistan had the flawless platform to make the highest total in a Champions Trophy final.

It was a charged-up performance from Sarfraz Ahmed s underdog team with left-handed opener Zaman, after a lucky reprieve, scoring a pulsating 114 in their imposing 338 for 4.

Pakistan: 338/4 in 50 overs (Azhar 59, Zaman 114, Babar 46, Malik 12, Hafeez 57, Wasim 25; Bhvneshwar 1/44, Bumrah 0/68, Ashwin 0/70, Pandya 1/53, Jadeja 0/67, Jadhav 1/27).

Title-holders India face arch-rivals Pakistan in the final of the Champions Trophy at The Oval in London on Sunday, with a television audience of millions set to be glued to the latest edition of world cricket's most high-profile match.

Their bowling coach Azhar Mahmood, returning to what he describes as his "second home" after several seasons as a Surrey favourite on the pitch, has great belief in a Pakistan team who have already knocked England out of their own tournament at the semi-final stage.

While Amir has been injured and is sitting out, Wahab Riaz has hurt his ankle and has been ruled out of ICC Champions Trophy, Junaid Khan has been a back-up, Rumman Raees is a kid fresh on the blocks, Hasan is the guy around whom Pakistan's bowling plans seem to have revolved.

Amir, who went wicketless in the first two Group B matches, against India and South Africa, contributed with both the bat and ball against Sri Lanka, to help the Green Brigade sail into the semi-finals.

Takata To Go Belly Up As Early As Next Week
Now that the company's credibility has been shot, it's possible the brand may never recover and gets back to where it once was". Completing the task of replacing all faulty inflators in the United States could cost as much as $8 billion, a USA judge claims.


Boxing Odds: Floyd Mayweather favored vs. Conor McGregor 6/15/17
It's being speculated that both men will be paid a staggering $100 million each for the fight to be aired on pay-per-view TV. Mayweather will come off a two-year retirement in a bout that McGregor has been pushing for almost that long.


Jeremy Corbyn enjoys kickabout as politics takes a backseat
On the other hand, the opposition Labour Party under Jeremy Corbyn has gained a significant number of seats and revived itself. Mrs May has reached a "confidence and supply" agreement with the Democratic Unionist Party ( DUP ).


Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed added: "After the India match in the group stage, I told the players the tournament hadn't finished yet". 'If you make the finals, you've played readlly good cricket, he said.

"Many people felt we couldn't beat India". Hafeez's innings was especially vital, coming as it did after a personal lean spell and from a situation where other Pakistan teams could have easily collapsed.

Even spinner R Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja failed to shine in the crucial final. But by the time he was dismissed Pakistan were perfectly placed at 200 for two to build on his total. Amir's was, make no mistake, the ODI spell that Pakistan cricket fans would have yearned for from him since he was welcomed back into the worldwide fold past year: 26 dot balls, appreciable movement, accuracy and the bloodied heart of India's batting in his grip.

Pakistan's 60 per cent chances while India 40 per cent to win.

Actor Sushmita who has been consistently tweeting about the game ever since it started wrote, "I love U INDIA!There is a reason why V R a leading team in d world...a defeat, however heartbreaking never defines us!#jaiHind" Riteish wrote, "Hard Luck Team INDIA ... we love you".

We have nothing to lose today, he stressed. He won the golden bat in the last edition of Champions Trophy and won it this time around too.


More news


  • The wrong kind of US Open history

    The last time Day missed a cut in a major was the 2012 PGA Championship , ending a run of 17, which was the longest active streak. The top three players in the world have never missed the cut in the same major dating to when the world ranking began in 1986.
    Supermassive Games Announce Hidden Agenda for PlayLink

    Supermassive Games Announce Hidden Agenda for PlayLink

    Hidden Agenda is a murder mystery game created by the developers and as implied, it is a game where everyone has a hidden agenda . Sony showed off a new phone app this year that will potentially change the way you play multiplayer games called PlayLink .
    Predators on brink as Rinne struggles again in Pittsburgh

    Predators on brink as Rinne struggles again in Pittsburgh

    They did it past year when they were up 3-1 in the Stanley Cup Final going into Game 5 at home against the San Jose Sharks. But Rinne struggled again Thursday in Pittsburgh , a place where he's never started and won in six career games.
  • Trump calls for unity after Scalise shooting

    Five people , including a Republican lawmaker and staffer, were injured in the reported shooting in the Washington D.C. Scalise's position as whip in the Republican-controlled House makes him one of the most senior figures in Congress .

    Warriors' Green stays in Game 4 after technical foul fiasco

    But Green stood stoically on the floor, then egged on the crowd to raise the decibel level of their jeers toward him. Green finished with 16 points and 14 rebounds but the Warriors still lost 137-116 to the Cleveland Cavaliers .
    Prosecutors to drop charges in Stanley Cup dead catfish toss

    Prosecutors to drop charges in Stanley Cup dead catfish toss

    Both teams will have two days to regroup and travel to Music City for Game 3, which will be at Bridgestone Arena on Saturday. Penguins forward Jake Guentzel has tied Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final against Nashville at 1-1 late in the first period.
  • Republicans divided as Trump reverses some Obama Cuba policy

    Trump's announcement. "The Castro regime has shipped arms to North Korea and fuelled chaos in Venezuela". Most US business deals with the Armed Forces Business Enterprises Group are also likely to be banned.
    No 'direct' proof Russian Federation  meddled in USA  elections: Putin

    No 'direct' proof Russian Federation meddled in USA elections: Putin

    Mr Putin suggested that skilled hackers anywhere, including the USA , could shift the blame for hacking onto Russian Federation . He accused the United States media of sensationalizing information and using it as a "weapon of war" against Trump.
    Iran arrests 41 ISIS takfiri terrorists — Intelligence Ministry

    Iran arrests 41 ISIS takfiri terrorists — Intelligence Ministry

    People in the crowds chanted "Death to Saudi Arabia " alongside the more customary slogans against the United States and Israel. At the same time, several attackers fired on visitors at the Mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini, founder of the Islamic Republic.
  • Ray deals, Goldschmidt slams, Diamondbacks rout Brewers 11-1

    Ray deals, Goldschmidt slams, Diamondbacks rout Brewers 11-1

    He tried to get off the field without the cart, but trainers eventually made a decision to take Villar away on the vehicle. In the fifth, Arizona's Rey Fuentes hit a sinking line drive to left that the Brewers Eric Thames misplayed into a triple.
    Volquez's bid for second straight no-hitter ends quickly

    Volquez's bid for second straight no-hitter ends quickly

    The Pirates , who lost their third straight, avoided a shutout in the ninth inning when Josh Bell had a run-scoring groundout. Santana and Schugel joined the bullpen, which has had a busy week.
    US soldiers killed by Afghan army soldier in insider attack

    US soldiers killed by Afghan army soldier in insider attack

    In a statement, the Pentagon said the wounded soldier had been evacuated for treatment and the incident was under investigation. The latest attack comes as US President Donald Trump's administration is considering sending more troops to Afghanistan.